Thursday, September 22, 2011

Two Birds with one Yard --- A Challenge


Yes, yes, I know, the old saying is to get two birds with one stone . . . but we don't want to do that!! It's mean, and it's messy! :)

We're talking about accomplishing two things with one yard of fabric, here. How do we accomplish this bit of magic?


Well, you grab your favorite beverage and maybe a little snack, because I'm going to explain that right now!

All settled? Good. We're going on a trip to Africa! (Maybe you had better have more than a little snack on hand!)

Recently, I was introduced via Anita, of The Other Side of Me, to a wonderful couple in Malawi, in southeastern Africa. The Kropfs work diligently to educate, clothe, and house the many orphan children there, and adults, too, of course.  They live and work among the very poor. Here is an excerpt from a letter from Lois:

I have been measuring children for school uniforms. I have measured a little over 900 of them in the last month. I enjoy this. It gives me a chance to see their little faces and connect some names with faces.

I look at these precious little 6 year olds, not quite sure what this Azungu (white person) is going to do, their eyes wide with fright; the 9 year old girls give me shy little smiles; the boys put on a bravado.

There are so many teenaged girls in grades 5, 6, and 7, failing many years, and partly because when they become women, they do not have the necessary sanitation means to go to school, so they miss a lot of school. The boys miss a lot of school because they go out looking for odd jobs to buy clothes, shoes, food, etc.

Wow! Over 900 children to sew for? That is amazing! Here are some of those kids, showing off their new clothes:


Here is a picture of some of the boys, with new clothes and new school books:


Aren't they cute? Look at all those happy faces! You can see more of the Kropfs' work on this blog post.

Now, this is where the magic comes in . . .

We quilters sometimes need to de-stash and thin out the ranks of our fabrics that we pet, er talk to, well, love and purchase too much of.  And, with yardage, Mrs. Kropf can transform a tee-shirt into a dress for a girl, or create a pair of shorts for a boy.  She says:

I made a lot of tee shirt dresses last year, using new material for the bottom and used shirts for the top;  I made over 300 of them. That is why new material for dresses and tee shirt dresses is so much appreciated. I can buy material here, but it is not as nice as the states.

So, here's the plan.

  1. Rummage through your stash, and pick out some one yard (or more) pieces that you can donate to this effort in Malawi. And yes, if it is almost a yard, that's good, too. (It does need to be cotton, and please, no decorator or heavy fabrics!)
  2. When you decide on what you will send, email me (click on "Snoodles" under "Contributors" and then you will be able to click on "email") or leave a comment, either one --- and I'll give you the shipping information for the Kropfs' daughter-in-law, Anita, who lives in the United States. One yard is not too heavy; postage will be easy to handle!
  3. By the by, if you are able to toss in some thread (any color) that will be much appreciated, too!
  4. Anita will keep track of the fabric as it comes in, and make certain that the box or crate makes it into the hands of her folks. (We can't just ask all of you to ship to Malawi --- it's expensive, and it may not make it to them . . . )

Now, all of us that help with this challenge will be winners, because we've paid it forward, and helped someone else. It even ties in with the upcoming Make A Difference Day here in the US: October 22. But to encourage you to help out, we have enlisted the help of some sponsors, who will be contributing prizes for a random giveaway to those who participate!

Here are a few of the folks that have signed on to help us out:


Julie at the Intrepid Thread has generously donated eight lovely fat quarter packs!



QuiltSue has happily donated a copy of her new book, Pick Four! A great book for rookies and veteran quilters alike!



Padsworth has donated two twelve-month subscriptions to Ole Frog Eyes, the virtual design wall quilting site!


Amanda Murphy is donating a complete set of her patterns for the campaign!



Jacquelynne Steves at The Noble Wife blog is providing an autographed copy of her new book
Fruitful Hands for one of our winners, and she is sending yardage, too!



Mike and Shawna are generously donating fabric prizes, and also will be sending yardage for the Malawi effort!


Dewberry Lane will let a winner choose two patterns from their awesome selection!



We'll post pictures of the prize packages soon, and we are hoping to hear from EVEN MORE sponsors, too . . . so look around in your stash, and look in your thread cache, and let us know what you can contribute to the De-Stash for Malawi!!

Here is how we will count the entries: 
  1. For each yard of fabric that you can donate, you can make a comment on this post.
  2. If you can contribute thread, you can comment again. Not once for each spool, just one comment!  ;)
  3. If you are one of our subscribers at the Old Frog Eyes site, and you contribute, you can leave yet another comment.
  4. If you grab our "De-Stash 4 Malawi" button from the right-hand sidebar, and post it to help spread the word, you can comment one more time! Or if you tweet or Facebook the campaign, you can tell us that, instead!
  5. And you don't have to, but if you would like to follow our blog, we'd sure appreciate it, and count another comment!
This challenge will run through October 15 (that's just three weeks, so let's hurry!), and the winners will be announced on or before October 22, for Make A Difference Day. (That will give us time to verify our lists, and confirm our winners.)

Updated: Here is a helpful note from Jacquelynne Steves, who suggested . . .
I suggest using a flat rate box from the post office- medium box costs 10.95 to ship and large is 14.95 to ship, no matter how much you put in. So if you can cram it full, you can ship it for the same price as sending just a little by first class or priority would cost. If they can't fill a box on their own, they can ask a friend to share a box with them. And if they have a little room left, they could take it to their local quilt shop and ask them to "top it off" before they ship it out.
Awesome! Thanks, Jacquelynne!

I hope that all of you special quilting peeps will contribute! It's a very worthy cause!


Love,

223 comments:

  1. I'll be getting a package out for them ASAP! Thanks for sharing this today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so far I've put the button on my blog and mentioned it in my Friday blogpost....

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course I follow your blog! That's just so far - more to follow....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow your blog and would be glad to assist. Will get back with you for address as soon as I have my box ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you through a fellow teamcac member on etsy. I can easily fill the $10.95 box with fabric, thread and some trims. Where do I send this to?
    Great project.
    inkspired
    www.inkspired.etsy.com
    www.inkspiredmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please get in touch with me. I have 14 types of fabric with at least a yard or more, I would LOVE to donate. Plus, 10 yards of stretchy spandex type material (which I intended to make yoga pants out of, but have not had the time!) I thought this material could be used like she used the old t-shirt material. I do have thread as well, a few different colors.

    Please contact me, so I can forward it on. Thanks for the opportunity to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sent here via The Intrepid Thread. And as I wrote there - this is perfect timing. We are moving in 1 week and I have been making a big pile of fabrics to donate to someone, somewhere.

    Ever so happy to help!
    beckysews[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just became a follower as I think this is a fantastic idea. I'll have to go through my stash in the next few days and put a box together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the button on my blog now.
    http://theconfusedquilter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have 21 yards to send, and I already have Anita's address, so I can mail it out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, I'm a new follower! Love what you are doing for Anita and her family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went through my stash and a bit of shopping and I have a total of 25 yards to donate to the "de stash Malawi "!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also went through my thread stash and will be including thread to my box!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please email me the address to send the fabric to. I will go through my stash tonight and pick out one quick large box full. That's all I have time to do before I have to get ready for a sewing retreat and will do more after the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, I've boxed up 26 yards - you can fit a LOT in those flat rate shipping boxes. I'm now a follower on this blog. I'm doubling up on my comment because I already posted once (above) and didn't want to be a pig.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, I think this is another legal comment - I also included eight 1,200 yard spools of thread in the above-mentioned box of fabric. I will mention this fabric drive at the sewing retreat I am going to starting this weekend. It's the Vashon Island Sewing Retreat in Washington state. We have a non-profit that runs the retreat, The Stitching Girls Society, and have loads of fun, even if it is in rainy Washington state. Because a rainy day at sewing camp beats a sunny day at work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am now following your blog, and looking for some fabric to donate!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very Cool!! I will go through my fabric today!!
    I added the button to my artfire studio here:

    http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/luvncrafts
    It's down at the bottom of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would like to send a box of fabric. I don't know how many yards I can stuff in a Priority box but I will stuff as best I can.
    I just found your site and love it. I need the address of where to mail the box.
    God bless you and this ministry.

    Sally ssswift@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I WILL SEND THREAD IN THE BOX OF FABRIC i AM PUTTING TOGETHER.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I talked with my 2 granddaughters and we'll send fabric I had for them (tops and a dress) to the Malawi children - just need to know where to send it, please! Will also send thread I won from Aurifil (think they'd approve).

    ReplyDelete
  22. i'd love to send some fabric their way- can you email me the info?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just clicked to "follow" Going to pull out my stash. Will return to post. thank you for giving us something to do to make a difference- Following in HIS foosteps.

    ReplyDelete
  24. http://147million-one.blogspot.com/2011/09/bloggy-buttons.html

    blogged about it there. and posted your button!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! You can check me off..Mailed 25+ yards and a package of threads to Anita this morning!

    Thank you for sharing this with everyone! Pattiann

    ReplyDelete
  26. I read about this at Cat Patches & Confessions of a Fabric Addict - I will be going home & going through my stash - and threads - to see what goodness I can come up with. I'll be back with an update! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad you're sharing this wonderful idea! Just one problem. I can't find your e-mail address . Can you please post it above where you say to e-mail you for shipping details, or at least send it to me?

    I want to share this on Facebook and by e-mail with my sewing friends. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm donating a yard of fabric suitable for a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm donating a yard of fabric suitable for a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I blogged about De-Stashing for Malawi and posted your button.

    ReplyDelete
  31. If you'll email me the mailing address, I'll get my box in the mail on Mondayl.
    b78ayers@comcast.net

    Many thanks. (I couldn't find an email address for you, Jacque - sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have about 3 yards to send, just let me know the address. rbrock894@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. Visiting from the link on Sarah's post. Sounds like a wonderful idea. I'm sure I can find one and probably multiple yards to send. Just let me know the address!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have your button on my blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello,

    I need your address, I just destashed and am happy to send about ten yards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I will send you some fabric and thread. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  37. To start with I follow....more coming. This is wonderful and it is something that I can do. I have OOOOODDDDLLLLLLEEEESSSS of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Button added and will blog about it soon

    ReplyDelete
  39. Okay, I've got my box ready to mail. There's a bundle of fabric in the box :-) Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I posted about this project on my blog today, with the De-Stash button ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. sent off 1 yard this morning! (7 more to follow this comment...)

    ReplyDelete
  42. sent off 2 yards this morning! (6 more to follow this comment...)

    ReplyDelete
  43. sent off 3 yards this morning! (5 more to follow this comment...)

    ReplyDelete
  44. sent off 4 yards this morning! (4 more to follow this comment...)

    ReplyDelete
  45. sent off 5 yards this morning! (3 more to follow this comment...)

    ReplyDelete
  46. sent off 6 yards this morning! (2 more to follow this comment...)

    ReplyDelete
  47. sent off 7 yards this morning! (1 more to follow this comment...)

    ReplyDelete
  48. sent off 8 yards this morning! whew! that was my total! i hope it all helps!

    ReplyDelete
  49. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I have some I could definitely send, send me the address and I'll get it boxed up.

    ReplyDelete
  51. And I definitely have some thread I could throw in there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  52. For the sake of my stash http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=391288.msg4634832#msg4634832 I need to do this. I am following you so I can leave a comment before I decide how much to send, right?

    ReplyDelete
  53. I will totally follow you, too! Yay! More quilting blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a wonderful thing to do. I have SO much fabric to donate and thread. At the very least I know there will be 10-15 yrds. If you ship with the post office Flat Rate Boxes, it's very reasonable. I'm excited about this. Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. My mother and I have so much fabric to share! We are thrilled at the opportunity to give some much loved, but sadly unappreciated fabric from our stash to a good home. :-)

    Please forward the shipping address to me at sunshdws@yahoo.com. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I'm Sherryl's Mom and posted just before hers but I couldn't get the link to your email for the shipping address. I can be reached at TravelingRo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. I would love to donate some fabric. What a wonderful cause. Please e-mail me the shipping address. You are wonderful to help coordinate this. I read about the project on Amanda Murphy's and Staci's (Confused Quilter) blogs. Lord, supply every need!

    P.S. If all these women post a comment for every yard, your site may just shut Blogger down. :) Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  58. So far I've come up with about 5-1/2 yards.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I've got some thread I'm sending too.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I have about 17 yards that I can easily box up and send to you just email me the address. marci_elmer@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  61. I'll be happy to send a box of fabric, just tell me where to send it.

    ttfn :) Yuki

    ReplyDelete
  62. I'm off to the Post Office with a 4-yard piece of fabric! :D

    ReplyDelete
  63. There will be 2 spools of thread in with the fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I've put the button on my blog too.
    And when my home computer is feeling better & I can d/load, I'll do a post with a picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I have my medium flat rate box full and ready to go : )

    ReplyDelete
  66. I have added the button to my blogpost here:

    http://piecefullife-elizabeth.blogspot.com/2011/09/de-stash-4malawi.html

    ReplyDelete
  67. I'm so happy to participate. Please send me the shipping information and I'll put a package together. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  68. I would love to send a box of fabric and some thread. Please let me know the address to send it to. Thanks so much for spreading the word about this - love the cause!!!

    awamom at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  69. I have many yards of fabric just waiting for a project like this. Could you send me the mailing address so i can get them in the mail. My daughter spent time at an orphanage in Malawi this summer, this is a project dear to our hearts. Thanks! 85fisher@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  70. I'm a subscriber & I'm off to destash ...

    ReplyDelete
  71. I want to contribute. Please contact me with the mailing information.

    ReplyDelete
  72. I'd love to contribute! Do they need other supplies also? My mother-in-law recently passed away and she had tons of sewing supplies (scissors, rotary cutters, mats, etc). I hate to keep them when they can be used. Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Pls contact me at npera1@LAUSD.net. I want to contribute. Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  74. I've got another 5 yards. It's all getting sent off in the mail today.

    ReplyDelete
  75. I accidentally delete the email with the address.. Please resend. Sorry :/

    ReplyDelete
  76. I would like to contribute to this worthy cause. Information as to where to send it would be appreciated. Thanks, Judith

    ReplyDelete
  77. Getting yardage out tomorrow! Have 16 yards of fabric that I'm happy to donate. Good cause and now I have a clearer conscience about having so much ...

    ReplyDelete
  78. And my final 15 out of 16 since I commented telling you I was mailing out 16 yards tomorrow. I'll also be including some thread and that is part of this comment.

    Thank you so much for the opportunity to do this and share. Getting into the drawings is a bonus but the giving really is the reward.

    ReplyDelete
  79. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 1st yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  80. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 2nd yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  81. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 3rd yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  82. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 4th yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  83. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 5th yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  84. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 6th yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  85. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 7th yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  86. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 8th yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  87. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 9th yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  88. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 10th yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  89. I'm happy to participate! This comment represents my 11th yard donated.
    sunshdws@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  90. I have approximately 14 yards of fabric to ship

    ReplyDelete
  91. I'm not going to post 14 comments, but I want you to know I came to this post through Julie @the Intrepid Thread

    ReplyDelete
  92. NINE yards of fabric (mwahaha)
    (if you can't tell by now I'm trying to sounds like the count from Sesame Street)

    ReplyDelete
  93. THIRTEEN yards of fabric (mwahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  94. FOURTEEN yards of fabric (mwahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  95. FIFTEEN yards of fabric (mwahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  96. SIXTEEN yards of fabric (mwahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  97. SEVENTEEN YARDS OF FABRIC!!!
    And that's all I sent, sorry.
    Flatrate box on it's way to NY right now.
    Holy cow, that took a long time to make all those comments. I better get something for all of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  98. I sent off one package with 14 yards in it today and just found another 18 yards that I will send tomorrow. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, it made me de-stash and do something very worthwhile at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  99. I sent off about 25 yards today. Sorry, I didn't get exact measurements, but there was a lot of fabric! that ranged from 1 yard- 7 yards!

    ReplyDelete
  100. I sent about 25 yards today. I decided to just comment 10 times. Comment 1/10.

    ReplyDelete
  101. I sent about 25 yards today. I decided to just comment 10 times. Comment 2/10.

    ReplyDelete
  102. I sent about 25 yards today. I decided to just comment 10 times. Comment 3/10.

    ReplyDelete
  103. I sent about 25 yards today. I decided to just comment 10 times. Comment 4/10.

    ReplyDelete
  104. I sent about 25 yards today. I decided to just comment 10 times. Comment 5/10.

    ReplyDelete
  105. I sent about 25 yards today. I decided to just comment 10 times. Comment 6/10.

    ReplyDelete
  106. I sent about 25 yards today. I decided to just comment 10 times. Comment 7/10.

    ReplyDelete
  107. I sent about 25 yards today. I decided to just comment 10 times. Comment 8/10.

    ReplyDelete
  108. I sent about 25 yards today. I decided to just comment 10 times. Comment 9/10.

    ReplyDelete
  109. I sent about 25 yards today. Comment 10/10. Thank you for the opportunity to donate to a worthy cause!

    ReplyDelete
  110. I've packed the box, printed the label and bought the postage, it will be shipped tomorrow! I stuffed 26 1/2 yards of cotton fabric into it.

    ReplyDelete
  111. The fabric I'm sending is left over from making pillow cases. After making and donating 250 I just couldn't make any more! (this is comment 2 for 26 yards)

    ReplyDelete
  112. This is my 7th comment for the 26 yards, I appreciate the destashing. I'll have to get another box at the post office. I still have more I can send.

    ReplyDelete
  113. This is my 9th comment for the 26 yards I'm sending.

    ReplyDelete
  114. This is my 10th comment for the 26 yards I'm sending. By the way, it is cheaper to print the label and pay for the postage online at USPS.com. They even throw in free delivery confirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  115. This is my 11th comment for the 26 yards I'm sending.

    ReplyDelete
  116. This is my 12th comment for the 26 yards I'm sending. It was almost easier to pack the box than leave these comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  117. This is my 13th comment for the 26 yards I'm sending. I feel like I'm hogging the comments...

    ReplyDelete
  118. This is my 14th comment for the 26 yards I'm sending.

    ReplyDelete
  119. 16th comment for the 26 yards I'm sending. I feel like a broken record! Boy does that date me!

    ReplyDelete
  120. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 1 out 19

    ReplyDelete
  121. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 2 out 19

    ReplyDelete
  122. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 3 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  123. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 4 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  124. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 5 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  125. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 6 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  126. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 7 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  127. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 8 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  128. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 9 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  129. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 10 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  130. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 11 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  131. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 12 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  132. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 13 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  133. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 14 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  134. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 15 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  135. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 16 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  136. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 17 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  137. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 18 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  138. I am sending out 19 yards of fabric in tomorrow's mail.
    Comment 19 of 19

    ReplyDelete
  139. I am a regular follower of your wonderful blog. I forgot to throw in some thread - sorry :(

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)