Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Don't stick a fork in it . . .

. . . but it's done!

Don't you love a finish?

It's almost as great a feeling as when you need a certain color of fabric and you simply MUST play in your stash for a while! (Grin)


This is the lovely border fabric that I used for my "Maggie's First Dance" quilt, of the free BOM from Jacquelynne Steves. And I had enough of that cute green print to make the binding strips. Score!


I like how the green makes a gentle edge . . . sometimes I like a little more contrast, but I really wanted the pieced and the embroidered blocks to be the stars of the show.


I especially love blind stitch on the binding (above). When I started quilting years ago, I did what I think is called whipstitch, and I was not happy with how it looked. Blindstitch videos are available on youtube, so if you are just starting out, check those and you'll be happy with your binding!


This is my system for wall hangings . . . I make rod pockets on both the top and the bottom, and then slip fairly thin dowels through. I like the way the entire top of the quilt is supported, and I also like that the bottom is held down nicely. No ripples or billowing, just a nice, straight project.


And here it is on the wall! Huzzah!


I had originally planned to display this in a different room, but when I realized that the blue half square triangles were a match for the walls in this guest bedroom? It's a no-brainer! This is its new home!

So, don't stick a fork in it, but it's definitely done!

We'll have more quilty merriment soon, so stick around!

Love,


8 comments:

  1. That is such a neat way for the dowels to be inserted, rather than a whole hanging sleeve, and one at the bottom makes sure it hangs straight, even in a breeze. Perfect in your guest room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the border fabric plays so well with the blocks. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, especially that border fabric, it's perfect. Thanks for the tip about a dowel on the bottom, I use the top method but never thought of doing it on the bottom too, you're so smart :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's beautiful. Love that border fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great. I love the border fabric too. Love the expression "quilty merriment"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turned out beautiful. Thanks for the tip about the dowels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This wall quilt turned out so pretty! The colors and design are so pleasant to look at. Great fabric choices. Finishes are so rewarding and a joy to walk by and admire.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)