Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A big finish! Well, a little one . . .

. . . in terms of overall size, that is! (Grin)

Check out my finished quilt from the Jacquelynne Steves' block of the month "Sew Sweet Simplicity." Yes, I know, everyone else finished theirs long ago.

But I DID finish!



I'm really happy with how this little quilt turned out. I decided to use it as a "practice slate" for some of the design elements I have seen others use in their free motion quilting. In the block centers, on two I went around the embroidery a couple of times, and then moved on. The other two were pretty heavily stippled, like this:


My Aurifil thread (40 wt white on top, 40 wt pink on bobbin) flew through the needle with no issues. I love how Aurifil performs -- no snarls, tangles, or breaks!

For the large stars, I did straight lines on some and loop-de-loops on others. Just trying to learn how to regulate my speed, and therefore my stitch length. You know we "keep it real" here -- you will see bloopers if you look at these photos! But I learned a great deal, and that is going to be important for other quilts that I work on.

 

You'll notice that I used charm squares from my thirties stash to go around the center (used colors that were in the blocks), and some scrappy strips were called in to play for the binding.


I'm over the moon happy with the one shot of blue I put in . . . there is something about blue that makes my soul sing. Does your favorite color do that to you?


Here's a shot of the back; it's a pink blender fabric from my stash. I tried to get some contrast so you could see the quilting:


Here is the quilt folded to show off the scrappy binding:


Hope you are joining us in the current Block of the Month from Jacquelynne! You can click on the badge up there on the right if you'd like to learn more about it.

Love,


11 comments:

  1. Your quilt looks wonderful, Jacque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that a cute quilt. What sweet embroidered designs in the centers of the blocks! Love that scrappy binding you did. It's perfect framing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pretty quilt! The little touch of blue is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt and any finish is a great thing. Hugs, Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It came out beautifully! I love the reproduction fabrics- it really makes you want to snuggle up and get cozy in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so happy!!! And I didn't finish my SSS quilt months ago - I'm still working on mine :*) Blue does that to me too - every time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful...love the fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not the last to finish this. I have finished the first 4 blocks and still have the bonus blocks to go before I can put mine together. I decided to do the needle turn applique which I had never done before and it took me awhile to really find a method that worked for me. I am starting on the Cozy Afternoon quilt and decided this time I would do machine applique so I can keep up with it. Your quilt is beautiful I love the embroidered version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great, and the binding is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice and congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)