Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Usin' up some scraps (Updated)

Sorry about the silence for the last few days here at the Lilypad . . . some things popped up that needed to be taken care of, so bloggin' had to wait!

I'm back to my machine on my lunch hours now, so I wanted to show you what I'd cooked up! Well, I'm going to show you some of the component parts, anyway.

Dummie here (that's Snoodles) was so excited when the project was finished, that she wrapped it up in the Happy Birthday paper and didn't take a picture of it! Duh.

Remember when I showed you the ginger cat pincushion that went to live with our good friend, Sasha, and her three terrifically handsome orange kitties?  You can click here to see it if you would like to.


That pincushion is made from template in the "It's Quilting Cats and Dogs" book by Lynnette Anderson. I love that book! There are super projects in it. 

My sis made me a wonderful threadcatcher . . . there are thread catchers of all shapes and sizes popping up all over blogland, and I love the idea. And my vacuum loves less thread on the floor to try and conquer! (Grin)

So, I put the pincushion together with a thread catcher! Here is how I rolled:

I used some of the pretty stripe scraps from the Jacquelynne Steves' Happy Town line and made the bag for the threads:


Then I found a scrap of darker orange for the hanger:


Next, I re-purposed some denim from a worn-out pair of jeans for a "rug" for the kitty to sleep on......the circular stitching is supposed to make it look like a braided rug:


Then the kitty himself. Again, some pretty orange scraps from Happy Town, and appliqued paws and stripes:



I'm hoping that the recipient will send me a photo of the finished kitty and threadcatcher, so that I can show you!


UPDATE:  Here are two pictures of the happy kitty in his new home! Happy birthday, sweetheart! Mom and Dad love you with all our hearts!


  Love,



15 comments:

  1. So cute! I am sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so adorable! I want one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute!! Maybe I need an orange kittie to sit with my thread catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so cute! it is unbelievable how thread gets everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute....I have the same thread catcher on my recent post with the flower instead of the cat...how funny! I love the kitty though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I like the way you combined two ideas into one. What a lucky gal who has a loving mother who makes her such neat things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool! I sure do need a thread catcher...it winds up all over the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just as cute as can be! Love the orange theme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!!! Too cute!!!! I love it all and the orange is so pretty!!! Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very cute. I enjoy my thread catcher!


    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  11. More kitty cuteness!!!!!! I use my pincushion all the time. It's right in front of my sewing machine. I'm just very careful not to stick any pins on the kitty's face LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is adorable.... truly! You are so creative and where I just do what a pattern says, you grab an idea and run with it and truly make it your own!

    Love,
    Thing I

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)