I'm really excited to show you the finish!
I had so much fun with this pattern . . . as I mentioned before, Terri created this with a nice large pattern that you can print out yourself, and match up the pieces with the marks on the pages. After that it was off to the races, as I picked fabrics, fused and stitched, and then (dare I say it?) added three dimensional embellishments!
(And I made it totally from my stash!)
Now I'd like to show you some details. You won't be bored, will you? Grab your cuppa and get ready for some photos!
This is what started the creative process for the 3D touches . . . I recalled that I had a few buttons left from the lovely folks at Button Mad. I thought it would be cute to let them "land" on my flowers!
Then one landed on one of the kitties' tails, too!
When it came to the flowers, I loved the ones that Terri designed, but I longed for some more "pop" in my garden, so I used the same techniques as in this post from long ago, and made this flower:
Here is a pictorial progress report on how it was constructed:
First, cut out the petals (twice as many, right?) and lay them right sides together. Pay no attention to those chubby digits there. As I have mentioned to you before, it's an aberration in the genes. The rest of me is slender, willowy, super model material.
I have digressed.
Next you sew a quarter inch seam all the way around, except for the opening for turning the petals right side out.
After they are turned, pinch a tuck in them and stitch those bad boys into submission.
Then you are ready to put your flower together!
Now, flowers simply must have stems, and you all know that I have a frog and a dragon who frolic in my sewing area, right? So you knew that this was coming?
After helping to choose the perfect color trim for the stems, Padsworth and Dragondrop got to work choosing buttons for the spots on one kitty, and the collar jewels for all of the kitties.
We have lots of fun here at the Lilypad!
Since I had chosen "blues" (fabrics) for the kitties, I named them Leon (Redbone), Bessie (Smith), and (Memphis) Minnie.
Here are some close up shots for your consideration:
Their collars are grosgrain ribbon, and Presencia thread holds their "jewels" on while they play in the garden.
This (above) is a shot showing the green backing fabric and the blue binding. I love a narrow binding and cut this one at (gasp) one and a quarter inches wide.
A standard stippling (with my fav Aurifil thread....ya know, it was just like buttah!) made the kitties and flowers the stars of the project, and gave me a chance to practice, too!
Had to show you this flower one more time!
(Waving) Thank you, Terri, for letting me participate and test your pattern! I had a blast, and I hope y'all enjoyed seeing the process and the completed project!
I would like to encourage all of you to get the pattern and have fun making Paws in the Garden!